the solution to your never-ending to-do list (and big news!!)
Hello from Hong Kong! Never in my life did I ever think I would travel to China, let alone any part of Asia (I’m such a homebody); but one of the ways the Universe seems to be mega stretching me this year is through world travel.
I know, I know. To many people, traveling this much may seem like the dream life, but for me it’s definitely more of a stretch of being outside of my comfort zone. I told Gena that at this point, I want our honeymoon to be on the couch in our apartment.
Which reminds me – I haven’t shared the exciting news with you yet! Last month, Gena and I got engaged! This pic of us with our rings is from a few days ago. We’re in Hong Kong because Gena is coaching students from her alma mater law school in a competition over here.
I feel so grateful to say that I feel hugely honored to be Gena’s partner in life. She is so inspiring, brilliant, and filled with more love than I ever thought could fit in her tiny body. And, I love that Gena has chosen to help us entrepreneurs get their legal “stuff” in order. She’s actually offering a free call next week that you should definitely sign up for if you’re feeling a little shaky on the legal front. It’s called, “Your Safe, Successful and Sparkly Business: Create a Safe and Sound Business Right Away.” To find out more and sign up, go here.
Anyhoo, our wedding plans are underway (we’re keeping it super intimate, ease-filled and simple) and the big day is happening in late August. Wedding planning is the ultimate test in being organized, which leads me to today’s post, which is ALL about managing – and actually completing – your seemingly never-ending to-do list.
I’ve spoken to LOTS of people recently about this – from friends to peers to clients – and it seems to be something that most people truly struggle with. Well, struggle no more! Here is the ultimate guide to actually getting your to-do list DONE. (ps. if you need more support after reading my steps, I’m offering a super exciting, wildly life changing opportunity to help you give your business and life the ultimate organizing makeover – think ease-filled schedule, calming to-do list, and blissful work space – so be sure to read more about it below).
The 5 Steps to Getting Your To-Do List DONE
1. Make a Master List. Consolidate all of your to-do lists and create one big one. I call it, The Master List! Whether you have lists on post-its, note cards, in notebooks, scraps of paper – wherever – gather them all together and write all of them down on one list. Throw all other lists out once you do this. Also I recommend you do this in a notebook so that you don’t lose this list easily and that you can find it easily as well.
2. Break everything down into super bite-sized steps. In all likelihood, now that you have everything on one list, you might feel, while yes organized, also a bit overwhelmed. Not to worry, love! Here’s the solution. Break every task down into smaller steps until none of the tasks overwhelm you anymore. Even if the steps seem ridiculously simple – better that they are simple and get done than the alternative.
3. See what can be delegated. Give your list a look and start to see which tasks can be delegated, outsourced or removed altogether. I call this, the Elimination Round. I know it may feel scary or unfamiliar to let control of some of these things, but I promise, the dollars are behind the discomfort. Breathe deeply and go forth regardless. Some great resources to help you delegate that I love love love: Fancy Hands (for online tasks) and Task Rabbit (for in person and online tasks). For the Fancy Hands, you will receive 50% off your first month when you use this link!
4. Guesstimate how long it will take you. Now that you’ve cut your list down by a lot, go over it once again and give a guess as to how long each task will take you. Sometimes, when we look at something on our to-do list, we imagine that it will take us DAYS. But when you start doing this exercise, you will see that what you thought would take you hours will really only take you 30 minutes in all likelihood. (Note: better to overestimate, but don’t go crazy with it).
5. Find space in your calendar for each task. Now that you know exactly how much time you need for each task, it’s time to put it in your calendar. Look for open pockets in your calendar and put the task that fits that time frame in there. White space between 10-10:30am? Perfect! Make those 4 quick calls then. Keep going until every task is given a spot in your calendar.
As I mentioned in my last post, my commitment to you, moving forward, is to help you plan more in your business so that you can play more in your life. Being organized makes your business and life feels so much more manageable and calming and fun. For those of you who don’t know, I actually began my entrepreneurial journey as a professional organizer 7 years ago, so I’ve always loved everything organization.
Now, it’s my mission to help you bring ease and organization to your schedule, workspace and to-do list, so that you can serve more people, make more money, and live the life you currently spend your days and nights dreaming of.
I’ve created a 6-week program called The Organized Entrepreneur. Here’s what’s included:
- A private Facebook community to give you ongoing support, accountability, virtual hugs and high fives
- Weekly videos or calls with corresponding user-friendly spreadsheet templates and PDF handouts
- Weekly topics will include (but are not limited to) organizing your:
:: To-Do List: Getting your to-do list done (in more detail than above)
:: Workspace: Creating a calming workspace that multiplies your productivity
:: Daily Schedule: Mapping out your daily schedule (and having a set start and end to each day)
:: Weekly Schedule: Mapping out your weekly schedule (so that you’re clear on when you’re doing what)
:: Budget: Simplifying your budget (this is a big one for lots of people; not to worry, I make it super easy for you)
:: Email Inbox: Managing your email inbox so that you don’t feel like you’re a slave to it
:: Delegating + Outsourcing: What to delegate, who to delegate to, and how to feel calm about releasing control
:: Larger-Than-Life Projects: How to break them down into bite-sized pieces so that it actually becomes a reality!
:: Team: How to keep your team organized (or how to get organized in preparation for your team-to-be!)
- Bonus calls, videos or handouts on other juicy topics like:
:: Fear: Working through fear when you feel totally paralyzed and stuck
:: My List of Favs: My personal recommendations of resources/people/apps you may need to support you in your business (from money mindset to organizing your launch calendar)
:: Having Fun: How to make time to play
Feel Good Investment: $495 or 3 payments of $198
BEST PART: Your Investment in The Organized Entrepreneur is 100% RISK FREE
I’m super confident that this program is going to change your life in amazing ways. Imagine waking up feeling calm and knowing exactly what you need to do that day, feeling relaxed as you open your email inbox and only focusing your time and energy on the things you need to be doing to grow your business and nourish your life.
That said, after 30 days, if you feel otherwise, I’m more than happy to refund your money and send love and good wishes your way (no hard feelings at all).
I know it can feel super safe to avoid making decisions about things, and to then wait until “things get bad enough” that you’re forced to do something about it. So to encourage and celebrate your decisiveness and your commitment to taking the best care of yourself and your business, I’m gifting the first 10 people who sign up with a free 1-hour call with me. During this call, we can talk about anything – organization-related or otherwise. (Side note – these calls are usually valued at the entire investment of the program. I wanted my gift to you to be super valuable and super helpful to you – in general and in preparation for the program).
Ready to become The Organized Entrepreneur you know you’re meant to be?
Fill out this short form to apply here: I wanna be an Organized Entrepreneur!
I’m so excited to help add simplicity, organization, and ease to your business and life.