Of magic and miracles. It just sounds beyond delicious, right? Who wants more magic? Me please! Miracles? Me again please! I’ve been knee deep in learning, exploring and experiencing the art and true amazingness of manifesting what I want.
A few days ago I woke up and really thought about where I was a year ago that day.What’s funny about it, is that on that day in particular, I was feeling stressed and overwhelmed, but even amidst all of that, I felt called to reflect upon the difference 365 days has made.
And let me tell you – a difference indeed they’ve made.
May 2013: very single and recently out of a very heavy relationship
May 2014: in a relationship that has exceeded any expectation I’ve ever had of one
May 2013: living in a studio (albeit adorable and cozy) alone with no natural light
May 2014: living in a luxury building with Gena in an apartment with epic views and more natural light than I know what to do with
May 2013: craving a community of sister entrepreneurs like whoa
May 2014: feel super close with quality NYC-based women business owners + part of Nisha Moodley’s Freedom Mastermind
May 2013: didn’t feel totally aligned with my business
May 2014: feel hugely aligned with my business and clear on next steps
Of course, there are things that haven’t changed that much, things that are still very much in progress, and other things that have, dare I say, regressed. But still, if someone said to me in May 2013 that my life would look like it does now in May 2014, I would have thought they had lost their mind – why? because I NEVER would have believed that some of these things would have ever been possible – especially in such a short amount of time.
So here’s my super simple recipe to easy breezy manifesting:
1. Know what you want – the clearer the better. And better yet, write it down on paper somewhere. You don’t need to look at it all day, or even everyday. But be sure to (a) know what you want (b) write it down on paper.
2. Chill out. I am so not good at this. Maybe it’s the native New Yorker in me or it’s just not one of my personal strengths, but chilling out is not something that comes naturally to me. It’s actually something I need to work on every single day. Yes, I need to work hard to chill out. Life’s little ironies.
3. Surrender. This doesn’t mean to stop wanting what you want. Still want it, but don’t be in a mindset of needing it. Approach it with a “wouldn’t it be so awesomely super cool if….” mindset. Feel excited, not desperate.
4. Live life as though what you want is a sure thing. Again, it’s a sure thing because you want it – not because you need it. So what do you need to do to prepare for 5 more clients? Have more money in the bank? Have a more relaxed schedule? What are the steps you can start taking today to bring you closer to being ready for your impending new reality?
So tell me – what are you currently manifesting? And what steps are you taking to prep for it’s impending arrival? Feel free to respond to this email and let me know. I’d love to hear what kinds of magic and miracles are on their way to you.
When’s the last time you felt like you didn’t have “enough time” to get it all done? Was it yesterday? Today? This very moment?
Whenever it may have been, I hear you – and better yet, I got your back.
I’ve always been pretty organized about my time, but recently, I’ve really had to step it up – a lot. Gena and I have been traveling so much that time has become all the more precious. The funny thing is that the less time I feel like I have, the more I end up getting done. There’s something about having deadlines and boundaries that suddenly pushes you to work more efficiently, up your focus, and truly commit to getting you to-do list done.
With that in mind, here are my top 5 secrets to getting things done when you feel like time is really of the essence.
1. Set a timer. As always, simplicity and success go hand in hand. There’s something about feeling like you’re “racing against the clock” that’s going to push you to work more quickly and efficiently. Whatever it is you’re working on now that you want to accomplish, decide on how long you feel like it should take you, grab your iPhone (or anything with a timer), set the clock, and go. I know that the minute the clock starts ticking, I suddenly get into “go mode” and distractions no longer get in my way.
2. Choose a juicy incentive. There’s nothing like giving yourself something to look forward to to push you to take action fast. Are you stalling on writing a blog post? Have you been avoiding your email inbox like the plague? Give yourself something super exciting to look forward to once you check that task off your list. The juicier the incentive, the more quickly you’ll work to getting it done asap.
3. Make plans. You know how the day you leave for a trip, you suddenly – and seemingly magically – get all of this “stuff” done that has been on your to-do list forever? As with #1, there’s magic in having a deadline – self-imposed or otherwise. Leave less white space on your calendar and even though it may seem counterintuitive, you will get more done in the space that remains.
4. Share your commitment. When you let other people know that you’re committed to getting something done, it makes you all the more likely to actually do it. Just yesterday on Facebook, I spontaneously invited people to participate in a “Get It Done Hour” – people said what they were going to get done over the next hour and then I checked back in with them 60 minutes later. There’s power in having other people hold you accountable.
5. Don’t do it. Enter delegating and outsourcing – two of my most favorite words. Whether you enlist a friend, an assistant or a company to do something for you, handing tasks off to other people can be one of the most efficient and empowering ways to get more stuff done.
With the launch of The Organized Entrepreneur, and The Organized Entrepreneur Community, I’ve also decided to create The Ultimate Organized Entrepreneur, a program for the entrepreneur who is sick and tired of feeling overwhelmed by her schedule, her to-do lists, and never feeling like there is enough time in the day.
It comes with a 100% money-back guarantee that within 90 days, you’ll feel calm and in control of your time, and free from to-do list overwhelm. Being that I’m giving 110% to each person who signs up, I’m only accepting 10 people. Two spots have already been filled. You can find out more here: www.embarkability.com/uoe.
love and spreadsheets,
And we’re back! The homebody in me has never been happier. As much as our trip to Hong Kong was a mega adventure and a once-in-a-lifetime type of experience, there’s nothing more wonderful than coming home to your cozy couch, a homemade green smoothie, and your own bed. Can I get an AMEN?
Shortly after we arrived home, I snuck a picture of Gena with our cat Gray. I think both of them were super happy we were home too.
Part of the reason I was so glad to be home is that when we were away, I felt super anxious a lot of the time. I couldn’t have felt more outside of my comfort zone. On most days, I experienced a panic attack – or two. If you’ve ever experienced a panic attack, you can imagine how not fun that was. If you haven’t, just know that everyday I experienced very high levels of anxiety that often seemed to come “out of nowhere” and that felt very effortful to manage.
By the second day we were in China, instead of just getting all flustered and annoyed at what was happening, I decided to take a step back and ask myself WHY this was happening. Because after all, everything that happens to us carries with it a lesson, a blessing, or both. So instead of focusing all of my attention on my shallow breathing or my racing thoughts, I started to do some investigating. And the answer actually came to me pretty quickly.
Let’s rewind a few weeks for me to explain the answer. I was in Costa Rica with my Freedom Mastermind sisters for one of Nisha Moodley’s epic retreats. One of the exercises we did was to describe what we craved most in our lives. Then Nisha offered each of us an intention to carry with us moving forward. Mine? To feel more secure within myself.
AH yes, so of course I was experiencing all of this anxiety. This was the perfect opportunity for me to practice feeling more secure within myself and to show myself that, even in the throes of a panic attack, I can find security within myself. A challenge indeed, but such a blessing too. So I did just that. I did whatever I could think of to feel more secure and safer within myself, my body, and my circumstances.
Which then lead me to start thinking about how, whether you suffer from panic attacks or not, we all experience some level of anxiety as entrepreneurs. Whether around money (how am I going to pay next month’s rent?) or time (how is it 5pm already, and I’ve got nothing on my to-do list done!) or “competition” (she seems to be doing everything perfectly and I’m such a mess), fear seems to show up quite a lot for us entrepreneurs.
And when fear strikes, you often need a Mary Poppins bag full of resources to help you move forward. Because what happens a lot of the time to too many of us is that when fear strikes, we stop. We get stuck. We freak out. We go into overwhelm mode and don’t do anything about it. We just sit and stare and dwell on how stuck we feel. Now of course, we eventually get back up, dust off our yoga pants and move on with our business. But sometimes, we’ve waited so long that, in the meanwhile, we’ve missed opportunities, we’ve lost potential clients, and while we’re standing up again, we still feel pretty defeated.
Well, I say that it’s time for all of this to be part of your past! To help you, I’ve written a list of 10 things for you to do when you may find yourself in freak out mode yet again.
1. Tap it out. EFT (or Emotional Freedom Technique) has been a serious game changer for me. I’ve bought books on it, but the best resources I’ve found are online. My fav go-to EFT guru is Brad Yates. Just google him and whatever you want to work on, and he’ll have a video on it. AND if you don’t know what EFT is, here’s some more info on it.
2. Breathe it out. Ah, deep breathing. Works every time. You can’t take deep breaths AND feel anxiety at the same time. It’s scientifically impossible. Sit, close your eyes, and breathe until you feel more grounded and centered in yourself again.
3. Talk it out. Whether the talking is to your significant other, your best friend, your coach or your therapist, talking out what’s going on in your mind is so so helpful because you no longer feel like you’re carrying the burden of your anxiety alone. They say it takes a village to raise a child. Well, I think it takes a village to take care of a person. Let people help you. We all need help, and “we” includes you.
4. Journal it out. I heart me some journals. I’ve been journalling since high school, so I’m going on a good 15 years or so of writing my feelings out on paper. For some people, this comes as second nature. For others, not so much. Either way, I invite you to explore adding this to your toolkit of calm and ease. Moving whatever is floating around in your head onto paper can truly do wonders.
5. App it out. I am obsessed with iPhone apps. Wildly obsessed. Why? Because there are so many good ones! In fact, I have a whole page on my iPhone JUST for relaxation/manifestation/meditation apps. No joke. Here’s a pic if you need any suggestions of which ones to download.
6. Walk it out. The power of a good walk. Getting outside and breathing in some fresh air is a quick and easy way for you to feel better fast. Grab your headphones, your fav playlist or podcast, and walk off all of that nervous energy.
7. Play it out. Do something fun! I recommend you write a fun list before your next moment of nervousness so that you already have some ideas in your back pocket. Doing something fun helps because it forces you to focus on something new. And distraction sometimes is the way to go when other things don’t seem to be working.
8. Hug it out. Have I told you yet about oxy hugs? So recently, Gena and I read somewhere that when a hug lasts over 20 seconds, it releases oxytocin in both you and the other person. So now, we make it a point to give each other oxy hugs multiple times a day. Among many other things, oxytocin reduces stress and increases bonding.
9. Laugh it out. You can’t be laughing hysterically and in panic mode at the same time. Again, scientifically impossible. Whether you want to watch the latest baby-has-food-all-over-her-face YouTube video or your fav episode of How I Met Your Mother, laughing can really be the best medicine.
10. Dance it out. Who doesn’t like a good dance party? Give yourself 5 minutes of jamming out to your fav song and I promise you’ll feel better. Dancing releases energy and music uplifts you. It’s the perfect combo.
Another thing that totally helps when it comes to managing and preventing anxiety is being organized. As I mentioned in my last post, I’m in the midst of creating an awesome program, called The Organized Entrepreneur, to help entrepreneurs organize the many aspects of their business. To help me create a program that will help as many people as possible, I would love YOUR input. Would you please complete this super short form? (its only one question – and will take you 15 seconds to complete) I’m so appreciative of your support as you’ll be helping me help so many more people!
I’m so excited to help add simplicity, organization, and ease to your business and life.
Hello from Hong Kong! Never in my life did I ever think I would travel to China, let alone any part of Asia (I’m such a homebody); but one of the ways the Universe seems to be mega stretching me this year is through world travel.
I know, I know. To many people, traveling this much may seem like the dream life, but for me it’s definitely more of a stretch of being outside of my comfort zone. I told Gena that at this point, I want our honeymoon to be on the couch in our apartment.
Which reminds me – I haven’t shared the exciting news with you yet! Last month, Gena and I got engaged! This pic of us with our rings is from a few days ago. We’re in Hong Kong because Gena is coaching students from her alma mater law school in a competition over here.
I feel so grateful to say that I feel hugely honored to be Gena’s partner in life. She is so inspiring, brilliant, and filled with more love than I ever thought could fit in her tiny body. And, I love that Gena has chosen to help us entrepreneurs get their legal “stuff” in order. She’s actually offering a free call next week that you should definitely sign up for if you’re feeling a little shaky on the legal front. It’s called, “Your Safe, Successful and Sparkly Business: Create a Safe and Sound Business Right Away.” To find out more and sign up, go here.
Anyhoo, our wedding plans are underway (we’re keeping it super intimate, ease-filled and simple) and the big day is happening in late August. Wedding planning is the ultimate test in being organized, which leads me to today’s post, which is ALL about managing – and actually completing – your seemingly never-ending to-do list.
I’ve spoken to LOTS of people recently about this – from friends to peers to clients – and it seems to be something that most people truly struggle with. Well, struggle no more! Here is the ultimate guide to actually getting your to-do list DONE. (ps. if you need more support after reading my steps, I’m offering a super exciting, wildly life changing opportunity to help you give your business and life the ultimate organizing makeover – think ease-filled schedule, calming to-do list, and blissful work space – so be sure to read more about it below).
The 5 Steps to Getting Your To-Do List DONE
1. Make a Master List. Consolidate all of your to-do lists and create one big one. I call it, The Master List! Whether you have lists on post-its, note cards, in notebooks, scraps of paper – wherever – gather them all together and write all of them down on one list. Throw all other lists out once you do this. Also I recommend you do this in a notebook so that you don’t lose this list easily and that you can find it easily as well.
2. Break everything down into super bite-sized steps. In all likelihood, now that you have everything on one list, you might feel, while yes organized, also a bit overwhelmed. Not to worry, love! Here’s the solution. Break every task down into smaller steps until none of the tasks overwhelm you anymore. Even if the steps seem ridiculously simple – better that they are simple and get done than the alternative.
3. See what can be delegated. Give your list a look and start to see which tasks can be delegated, outsourced or removed altogether. I call this, the Elimination Round. I know it may feel scary or unfamiliar to let control of some of these things, but I promise, the dollars are behind the discomfort. Breathe deeply and go forth regardless. Some great resources to help you delegate that I love love love: Fancy Hands (for online tasks) and Task Rabbit (for in person and online tasks). For the Fancy Hands, you will receive 50% off your first month when you use this link!
4. Guesstimate how long it will take you. Now that you’ve cut your list down by a lot, go over it once again and give a guess as to how long each task will take you. Sometimes, when we look at something on our to-do list, we imagine that it will take us DAYS. But when you start doing this exercise, you will see that what you thought would take you hours will really only take you 30 minutes in all likelihood. (Note: better to overestimate, but don’t go crazy with it).
5. Find space in your calendar for each task. Now that you know exactly how much time you need for each task, it’s time to put it in your calendar. Look for open pockets in your calendar and put the task that fits that time frame in there. White space between 10-10:30am? Perfect! Make those 4 quick calls then. Keep going until every task is given a spot in your calendar.
As I mentioned in my last post, my commitment to you, moving forward, is to help you plan more in your business so that you can play more in your life. Being organized makes your business and life feels so much more manageable and calming and fun. For those of you who don’t know, I actually began my entrepreneurial journey as a professional organizer 7 years ago, so I’ve always loved everything organization.
Now, it’s my mission to help you bring ease and organization to your schedule, workspace and to-do list, so that you can serve more people, make more money, and live the life you currently spend your days and nights dreaming of.
I’ve created a 6-week program called The Organized Entrepreneur. Here’s what’s included:
- A private Facebook community to give you ongoing support, accountability, virtual hugs and high fives
- Weekly videos or calls with corresponding user-friendly spreadsheet templates and PDF handouts
- Weekly topics will include (but are not limited to) organizing your:
:: To-Do List: Getting your to-do list done (in more detail than above)
:: Workspace: Creating a calming workspace that multiplies your productivity
:: Daily Schedule: Mapping out your daily schedule (and having a set start and end to each day)
:: Weekly Schedule: Mapping out your weekly schedule (so that you’re clear on when you’re doing what)
:: Budget: Simplifying your budget (this is a big one for lots of people; not to worry, I make it super easy for you)
:: Email Inbox: Managing your email inbox so that you don’t feel like you’re a slave to it
:: Delegating + Outsourcing: What to delegate, who to delegate to, and how to feel calm about releasing control
:: Larger-Than-Life Projects: How to break them down into bite-sized pieces so that it actually becomes a reality!
:: Team: How to keep your team organized (or how to get organized in preparation for your team-to-be!)
- Bonus calls, videos or handouts on other juicy topics like:
:: Fear: Working through fear when you feel totally paralyzed and stuck
:: My List of Favs: My personal recommendations of resources/people/apps you may need to support you in your business (from money mindset to organizing your launch calendar)
:: Having Fun: How to make time to play
Feel Good Investment: $495 or 3 payments of $198
BEST PART: Your Investment in The Organized Entrepreneur is 100% RISK FREE
I’m super confident that this program is going to change your life in amazing ways. Imagine waking up feeling calm and knowing exactly what you need to do that day, feeling relaxed as you open your email inbox and only focusing your time and energy on the things you need to be doing to grow your business and nourish your life.
That said, after 30 days, if you feel otherwise, I’m more than happy to refund your money and send love and good wishes your way (no hard feelings at all).
I know it can feel super safe to avoid making decisions about things, and to then wait until “things get bad enough” that you’re forced to do something about it. So to encourage and celebrate your decisiveness and your commitment to taking the best care of yourself and your business, I’m gifting the first 10 people who sign up with a free 1-hour call with me. During this call, we can talk about anything – organization-related or otherwise. (Side note – these calls are usually valued at the entire investment of the program. I wanted my gift to you to be super valuable and super helpful to you – in general and in preparation for the program).
Ready to become The Organized Entrepreneur you know you’re meant to be?
Fill out this short form to apply here: I wanna be an Organized Entrepreneur!
I’m so excited to help add simplicity, organization, and ease to your business and life.
On sisterhood, scheduling and speaking up: Lessons learned from a week in Costa Rica
I spent the past week oceanside at a mind, body, and spirit retreat center in Montezuma, Costa Rica. In two words, holy whoa. It was a hug-filled and tear-soaked volcanic eruption of LOVE led by the masterful and magical Nisha Moodley and shared with 14 other wildly inspiring and love-driven women entrepreneurs.
Here is a pic of all of us at dinner time.
Every hour seemed to bring another moment of “oh my goodness” epiphanies or aha-ness.
Here are my top 3 takeaways (consider it my souvenir gifts to you!):
- We’re really all very alike. We’re simply different versions of the same core truth – in the end, we all crave love, to feel thought of, remembered, cherished; so often, we think we’re wildly different from each other, but really, we’re not that different from each other at all.
- Sister is a verb! to sister (v.) = to strengthen a supporting beam by fastening a second beam alongside it. Apparently, sister is a verb in the construction world! When you think of it in terms of how we can take care of each other, it really brings to light what it means to sister another person.
- Your body knows. Ask your body what it wants to do and get familiar with her rhythms. Your body will take care of you and tell you when to sleep, when to eat, and when to focus your energy into your work. Follow the whispers of your body – they will never lead you astray.
- Book end your days. As an entrepreneur, your day/week/month will feel like it’s never-ending if you don’t put a definite stop to it. Decide on when each day will begin and end, and then commit to your decision.
- My new secret to staying focused. As I write this, a timer on my phone is ticking away. I discovered that I stay focused much more easily when I time myself for each task at hand. That way, there’s sort of a “race against the clock” feeling, and also a commitment to honor a deadline, and not just work on whatever I’m working on endlessly.
On Speaking Up
- Get super clear on what you want. This past week, one of the many things Nisha taught us is to say YES to our desires. Allow yourself to want whatever it is you may want.
- Ask for what you want and/or need (without apology). This is something that I personally have worked on for years. It felt – and sometimes still feels really scary to ask for what I want – what if the person says no? what if they think I’m crazy for asking in the first place? It may always feel like a bit of a risk, but it’s the true gateway to feeling closer to and safer with people.
- People like to give. While you may feel like asking for what you need only serves you, it really serves the other person as well. People like giving – it makes them feel needed and valued. So by speaking up you’re giving a gift to both you and the person you ask.
Moving forward, my commitment to you, dear one, is to help you plan more in your business so that you can play more in your life. I plan to predominantly focus on how to support you by helping you…
- organize your time (hourly, daily, weekly, monthly)
- plan your year long calendar in advance
- map out your business strategy
- simplify your budget
I actually began my entrepreneurial journey as a professional organizer so now, my two worlds officially meet.
I would love to hear where you need the most support so that in future posts, I can write about these things and help you move forward.
Here are some prompts to make it super easy for you to share what you need:
I would love to learn how to….
I am so stressed out about…
Life would be so much easier if I had ________ in place
As a token of my thanks for sharing your thoughts, I will be gifting you with your choice of any one of my 3 products. (weeeee! I love giving gifts). Simply respond to this email with your insights and let me know which product you would like. You can see all of them here.
I’m so excited to help add simplicity and organization to your business and life.